The Feeling of Jazz – Spotlight on 'Ellatonia'
The Feeling of Jazz, Program No. 436 airing September 12, 2021 featured a spotlight on "Ellatonia," that is, compositions of Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington (April 29, 1899 – May 24, 1974) as played by others, in music presented by co-host Kent Lindquist. Meanwhile, co-host Al Corns featured other main stream jazz artists like jimmy McGriff, Count Basie, Marty Paich and more. Engineered by Dave Woodworth.
8 p.m. Hour - Music by Title, Artist (Album), Composer, Time length
1. Rockin' and Rhythm, Gary Burton, Four Duke (Laserlight), Duke Ellington, 5:44 min.
2. Ain't That Funk For You, Jimmy McGriff, Blue to the Bone Milestone 1988) A. Grey, 6:25 min.
3. What Am I Here For, David "Fathead" Newman, Mr. Gentle, Mr. Cool - A Tribute to Duke Ellington (Kokopelli Records), Duke Ellington, 4:40 min.
4. Vegas Drag, Count Basie, Kansas City 6 (Pablo 1980), (unknown), 6:14 min.
5. C. Jam Blues, Bucky Pizzarelli-John Bunch-Jay Leonhart, Manhattan Swing - A Visit With The Duke (Arbors Records), Duke Ellington, 5:17 min.
6. Marty's Blues, Marty Paich Quartet, Marty Paich Quartet (Tampa 1956), Marty Paich, 2:22 min.
7. It Don't Mean a Thing (If it An't Got that Swing), Thelonius Monk, Thelonius Monk Plays Duke Ellington (Riverside), Duke Ellington-Irving Mills, 4:38 min.
8. Tour De Force, Modern Jazz Sextet, Modern Jazz Sextet (Norgran 1956), J. Gillespie, 7:56 min.
9 p.m. Hour - Music by Title, Artist (Album), Composer, Time length
1. Jeep is Jumpin', Kenny Burrell, Ellington is Forever Volume 2 (Fantasy 1975), Duke Ellington, 4:55 min.
2. Things Are Here, Gil Fuller, Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra (Pacific Jazz 1965), J. Gillespie, 4:09 min.
3. Cottontail, Ben Webster, Ben Webster Plays Duke Ellington (Storyville July 1967), Duke Ellington, 5:01 min.
4. Color Me Blue, Jack McDuff, Color Me Blue (Concord 1992), Jack McDuff, 8:32 min.
5. It Don't Mean a Thing, The Modern Jazz Quartet, For Ellington (E & W, East-West), Duke Ellington-Irving Mills, 5:45 min.
6. Confirmation, Gene Ammons, Boss Tenor (Prestige 1960), Charlie Parker, 5:25 min.
7. The Duke, The Dave Brubeck Quartet, Brubeck Plays Ellington (Columbia-Gambit Feb. 1958), Dave Brubeck, 6:26 min.
8. Blue Minor, Sonny Clark, Cool Struttin' (Blue Note 1958), Sonny Clark, 10:20 min.