The Feeling of Jazz – Spotlight-3 on 'Ellatonia'
The Feeling of Jazz, Program No. 438 airing September 26, 2021 featured a third spotlight on "Ellatonia," that is, compositions of Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington (April 29, 1899 – May 24, 1974) as played by others, in music presented by co-host Kent Lindquist. Meanwhile, co-host Al Corns featured other main stream jazz artists like Lester Young, Oscar Peterson, Gerry Mulligan and more. Engineered by Dave Woodworth.
8 p.m. Hour - Music by Title, Artist (Album), Composer, Time length
1. Love You Madly, Jay Leonhart-Joe Beck-Gary Burton-Clark Terry, Four Duke (Laserlight), Duke Ellington, 5:22 min.
2. Jumpin' At The Woodside, Lionel Hampton-Stan Getz, Hamp And Getz (Verve 1955), W. Basie, 8:24 min.
3. Mr. Gentle & Mr. Cool, David "Fathead" Newman; Mr. Gentle, Mr. Cool - A Tribute to Duke Ellington (Koko 1300), Duke Ellington, 5:45 min.
4. I Cover The Waterfront, Henry Red Allen, World On A String (RCA Bluebird 1991), J. Green-E. Heyman, 8:25 min.
5. All Too Soon, Bucky Pizzarelli-John Bunch-Jay Leonhart, Manhattan Swing: A Visit With The Duke (Arbors records), Duke Ellington, 6:19 min.
6. Decidedly, Gerry Mulligan-Thelonius Monk, Mulligan Meets Monk (Riverside 1957), G. Mulligan, 5:55 min.
7. Things Aren't What They Used To Be, Ben Webster, Ben Webster Plays Duke Ellington (Storyville), Duke Ellington, 7:32 min.
9 p.m. Hour - Music by Title, Artist (Album), Composer, Time length
1. Deep In a Dream, Ike Quebec, The Art of Ike Quebec (Blue Note 1992), E. DeLange-J. Van Heusen, 6:46 min.
2. I Didn't Know About You, Kenny Burrell, Ellington Is Forever Volume I (Fantasy), Duke Ellington, 5:10 min.
3. Deep River, Grant Green, Feelin' The Spirit (Blue Note 1963), H. Burleigh, 8:53 min.
4. Rockin' In Rhythm, The Modern Jazz Quartet: For Ellington, (same as artist) (East-West), Duke Ellington, 6:33 min.
5. East of the Sun, Stan Getz, Stan Getz-West Coast Jazz (Norgran 1955), Brooks Bowman, 6:17 min.
6. Don't Get Around Much Anymore, Oscar Peterson, Oscar Peterson Plays Duke Ellington (Clef-Verve), Duke Ellington, 3:57 min.
7. Jump The Blues Away, Paul Quinichette, Like Who? (United Artists 1959), Ed Lewis, 5:23 min.
8. Rocks In My Bed, Joe Pass, The Duke Ellington Album (Pablo), Duke Ellington, 6:06 min.