© 2022 Lakeshore Public Radio
8625 Indiana Place
Merrillville, IN 46410
(219)756-5656
Header-blue.png
Northwest Indiana - WLPR 89.1 FM
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
Get the latest on the global Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic as it impacts Northwest Indiana, the state, country, and globe. Bookmark this page as there will be several updates each day from Lakeshore Public Radio, IPB News, NPR, and the Associated Press.

Indiana Moves Early To Next Reopening Stage; Gatherings Of 100 Allowed

JMH_0276.jpeg
Justin Hicks
/
IPB News

Indiana is moving forward early to the next stage of its plan to relax COVID-19 restrictions. Stage 3 of the governor’s “Back On Track” timeline will now begin Friday for all but three counties statewide.

That next stage – originally set to begin May 24 – allows gyms, fitness centers, community pools, campgrounds and tennis and basketball courts to open within social distancing restrictions and sanitation guidelines.

READ MORE: Governor Holcomb Outlines How – And Why – The State Will Reopen

Join the conversation and sign up for the Indiana 2020 Two-Way. Text "elections" to 73224. Your comments and questions in response to our weekly text help us find the answers you need on COVID-19 and the 2020 election.

Gov. Eric Holcomb says the early transition is possible because he says most Hoosiers have continued to follow mask-wearing, social distancing and hand-washing recommendations.

“If you are 65 and older or if you have underlying health conditions, we’re still telling you to be uber-cautious,” Holcomb says.

Holcomb did extend a ban on utility shut-offs, foreclosures and evictions through July 1.

Restaurants and bars that serve food must continue to limit customers to 50 percent capacity. Bars and nightclubs must remain closed. And youth summer camps must wait until June 1 to open.

The executive order signed by the governor Thursday makes a few changes to the previously announced guidelines for Stage 3. Movie theatres will now remain closed until Stage 4. And playgrounds must remain shut down; the governor’s office says they won’t open until a date “to be determined.”
Holcomb’s latest order also clarifies conditions for sports leagues and activities: Community recreational youth and adult sports leagues may resume practices and conditioning while adhering to social gathering and social distancing guidelines. Contact sports, such as lacrosse and football, are prohibited, but conditioning and non-contact drills may take place.

Stage 3 also allows gatherings of up to 100 people – which State Health Commissioner Dr. Kris Box acknowledges she’s concerned about.

“However, I do think that there is a way that we can do this safely and that involves all of the same things that we’ve already been doing,” Box says.

Box encourages groups of that size to be outdoors.

Retail stores and malls can further expand customers to 75 percent capacity. More details can be found at BackOnTrack.IN.gov

Lake, Marion and Cass Counties cannot begin Stage 3 until June 1.

This story has been updated to reflect the changes the governor made to the "Back On Track" plan in his latest executive order.

Contact Brandon at bsmith@ipbs.org or follow him on Twitter at @brandonjsmith5.

Related Content