NORTHWEST INDIANA - Spero Batistatos, President and CEO of the South Shore Convention and Visitors Authority, says Governor Eric Holcomb's plan to reopen Indiana is very clear and easily understood and his organization intends to follow that plan. But he does wish casinos were addressed more in the plan.
"We're a little sad that casinos weren't clearly spelled out," Batistatos says. "I'm hearing that they will be opening possibly as late as June 14. I'm hopeful that perhaps there may be a week or two earlier in there but our casinos in the area won't [open] at least right now until June 14."
The hotels have been open all along, Batistatos says.
"People are much more comfortable being in a hotel then they are you know because they can manage the four walls of their room and manage who comes in and out and they've got a pretty high degree of comfort in how hotels clean their rooms," the travel and tourism industry leader says.
He says he thinks the restaurant openings will be delayed because restaurants can't make money on only fifty percent of their inventory with respect to seating and no bar business. One of the profit centers in a restaurant is the bar.