The Feeling of Jazz – Spotlight on Bill Perkins, 04-17-2022
The Feeling of Jazz, Program No. 453 airing April 17, 2022 featured a spotlight on American cool jazz tenor saxophonist and occasional flutist & clarinetist William Reese (Bill) Perkins (July 22, 1924 – August 10, 2003), in music presented by co-host Kent Lindquist. Meanwhile, co-host Al Corns featured other main stream jazz artists like Ruby Braff, Scott Hamilton, Dexter Gordon and more. Engineered by Dave Woodworth.
8 p.m. Hour - Music by Title, Artist (Album), Composer, Time length
1. Just Friends, Bill Perkins, Just Friends (Pacific Jazz), Klemner-Lewis, 5:07 min.
2. All My Life, Ruby Braff-Scott Hamilton, A First (Concord, 1985), Sidney Mitchell-Sam Stept, 5:37 min.
3. Cottontail, Bill Perkins, Tenors Head-On (Pacific Jazz), Duke Ellington , 4:27 min.
4. Le Coiffeur, Dexter Gordon, Getting Around (Blue Note, 1987), Dexter Gordon, 6:57 min.
5. I Can't Believe You're In Love With Me, Bill Perkins, Our Man Woody (Jazzmark), Jimmy McHugh, 3:04 min.
6. A Lady's Vanity, Lucky Thompson, Tricotism - In Remembrance of Woody Herman (Impulse, 1993), Lucky Thompson, 5:12 min.
7. Shoeshine Boy, Bill Perkins, Perk Plays Prez (Fresh Sound), Sammy Cahn-Saul Chaplin, 4:51 min.
8. Ad Lib Blues, Charlie Christian, Charley Christian-Lester Young Forever (Jazz Archives, 1955), Charlie Christian-Lester Young, 3:22 min.
9. Easy Living, Bill Perkins, Perk Plays Prez (Fresh Sound), Robin-Rainger, 5:06 min.
9 p.m. Hour - Music by Title, Artist (Album), Composer, Time length
1. Ain't Misbehavin', Sonny Stitt, Good Life (Blackhawk Records), T. (Fats) Waller, 3:01 min.
2. Song of the Islands, The Bill Perkins Octet, On Stage: The Bill Perkins Octet (Pacific Jazz), Charlie King, 5:24 min.
3. Archie, Gene Ammons, Gene Ammons Favorites Vol. 3 (Prestige, 1953), Gene Ammons, 2:46 min.
4. I Want a Little Girl, Bill Perkins, Tenors Head-On (Pacific Jazz), Moll-Mencher, 5:56 min.
5. Moanin', Charles Mingus, Blues and oots (Atlantic, 1960), Charles Mingus, 7:52 min.
6. Lester Leaps In, Bill Perkins, Perk Plays Prez (Fresh Sound), Lester Young, 5:13 min.
7. A Blues, Bob Brookmeyer, Kansas City Revisited (United Artists, 1958), C. Miller, 5:06 min.
8. Shorty George, Bill Perkins, Perk Plays Prez (Fresh Sound), Count Basie, 3:47 min.
9. Pompeian, Bobby Hutcherson, Total Eclipse (Blue Note, 1968), Bobby Hutcherson, 8:43 min.